Re: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81

> Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 09:34:36 -0400
> From: "William A. Hoffman" <billlist@nycap.rr.com>
>
> Actually no, MinGW make is not working for what used to work with cygwin
> make.   It has a nasty habit of changing cl's command line arguments
> like /GZ into c:/msys/1.0/GZ.

I think this is the MSYS Make, not what I call ``the MinGW Make''.
The latter is produced by building the original Make 3.81 sources with
the MinGW compiler via the build_w32.bat batch file included in the
source tarball.  If you look in the official Make sources, you will
not find any code that changes /GZ into something else; in fact, the
native Windows build doesn't change anything in the command-line
options of the command being invoked, IIRC.