RE: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81

On 17 August 2006 10:47, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:35:51 +0200
>> From: Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu>

  Eli, we have a tradition of snipping email addys on this list:
http://cygwin.com/acronyms#PCYMTNQREAIYR if you could please!

>>> Windows doesn't allow colons anywhere else in file names anyway.
>>
>> That's not quite right.  Colons are also used in file names when the
>> file name denotes an alternative named stream on NTFS file systems.
>
> Right, I forgot about this obscure feature.
>
> However, this feature is not specific to Cygwin, so if support for
> such names is important (I suspect it isn't, but that's me), GNU Make
> should be modified to support them in all Windows ports; any solution
> that is good for other Windows ports will be good for Cygwin, and vice
> versa.  Do you agree?

  Well, aren't there also quote a lot of Linux systems with ntfstools these
days?  It's not even just a windows feature necessarily.

  But why on earth anyone would put a makefile in an ADS I couldn't imagine.

    cheers,
      DaveK