Re: FW: Re: Problem when using variable assignment, backticks in shell script

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 11:56:31AM -0400, Charli Li wrote:
>cgf wrote:

>>>Ah.  You think I typed that, myself?  I didn't.  It was automatically
>>>appended by the local email system.  Many corporate email systems do
>>>this kind of thing, because (IMHO) the people that run them are more
>>>concerned with posturing within their own value system (which does not
>>>map to reality) than they are with doing anything useful.
>>
>>Whether you typed it yourself or not, those type of disclaimers are
>>actually not allowed in mail to mailing lists at this site:
>>
>>http://sourceware.org/lists.html
>>
>>The same thing holds true for gcc.gnu.org.
>>
>>cygwin.com == sourceware.org == gcc.gnu.org
>>
>>Please find some other way of sending email which does not try to
>>enforce some kind of faux-legal obligations on the reader.
>
>Thread TITTTL'd!

Um.  Recent gold stars aside, I really am capable of deciding when something
is or is not on-topic here.

I'm not going to force someone else to respond in another mailing list
when I think something is of general importance to the people reading
the list here.

In this case, I specifically responded here since I was talking about a
policy statement for this site and for this mailing list.  While I am
certainly sensitive to increasing traffic in this list, talking about
policies is not off-topic here -- not that there is much to talk about.
If you really want to advocate for a policy change then neither this
mailing list nor cygwin-talk is the place to do so.

cgf