Re: Color Schemes

George wrote:
On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 09:44:51AM -0500, mwoehlke wrote:
Dave Korn wrote:

AFAIUI, the mapping of escape codes to which visual colours they mean is utterly fixed by ANSI, and it is, as you say, the termulator's job to display the correct visual colour. We could attempt in cygwin's console-handling code to look up the current console's current palette and attempt some kind of best-fit matching, at least in theory, but there's still the old SHTDI problem there....
[...] and I am not aware of any way to examine the terminal's "palette", nor should you need to. If a user wants to fiddle with these, it is his responsibility to keep things legible.

Huh?

$ grep color ~/.Xdefaults
*color0:        #000000
*color1:        #D1BFB1
*color2:        #99CCCC
*color3:        #C8B27F
*color4:        #8DB6CD
*color5:        #CC99CC
*color6:        #A8A8D9
*color7:        #7697A7
*color8:        #000000
*color9:        #80A0B0
*color10:       #99CCCC
*color11:       #40677A
*color12:       #8DB6CD
*color13:       #CC99CC
*color14:
*color15:       #87CEFF
*colorBD:       #8DB6CD
*colorUL:       #C8B27F
*cursorColor:   #84A9A9

Or am I missing something?

Sure. Now do it for Konsole (hint: DCOP *might* let you), CUI, Console, rxvt, PuTTY, and every other terminal emulator in existence.

What you found is the *default* colors for *one* emulator (what happens if you override them with command-line switches?). Dave and I were talking about being able to query the terminal emulator in a standardized way, and I am pretty sure there is no such way.

--
Matthew
We apologize for the inconvenience.