Re: mismatched dll

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 09:32:27PM +0000, Eric Blake wrote:
> > By moving the cygwin1.dll in the executable directory, things begin to
> > work. However, I don't understand how it's assumed that the new
> > cygwin1.dll acts the same as the one the executable was linked against.
> > See what I mean?
>
> There's a difference here.  Cygwin does not maintain binary
> compatibility of its use of its shared memory region between
> versions.  But it DOES maintain binary compatibility of the API
> it exposes.  Cygwin releases try very hard to guarantee that
> something compiled against an older cygwin1.dll will continue
> to run when a newer cygwin1.dll is put in its place.  The
> underlying details may change (such as the shared memory
> region), but the API continues to work.  And that is exactly
> what shared libraries were invented for.

Hi Eric,

Well, I just updated Cygwin, and now my nx client doesn't work anymore.
If I rename the cygwin cygwin1.dll and have nx use the cygwin1.dll it
comes with, it works. However, when I have nx use the cygwin1.dll that
cygwin uses, it doesn't work. What should I do now?

I could post the error messages I get here, if that's useful.

Thanks,
Bob Rossi