FW: Potential bug in sshd

  I was sent the following mail off-list, and am forwarding it (with
permission), because it contains a useful workaround for people having
problems with McAffee: disable the "buffer overrun protection".

On 27 September 2006 11:40, Michael Teske wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm not subscribed to the cygwin mailing list but found your message in
> http://www.mail-archive.com/cygwin@cygwin.com/msg72341.html
> while searching "linked dll data write copy failed" on google. I just
> wanted to report a similar problem, that happens if sshd runs together
> with McAffee virus checker. Somehow then sshd has the same problems -
> only after reboot, not if restarted later. The problems vanish if one
> disables the "buffer overrun protection".
> My suspicion is that this happens because sshd is started before the
> McAffee service and thus McAffee gets confused. Unfortunately there's no
> way to determine the starting order of services...
>
> Greetings,
> 	Michael

  Not being a McAffee user[*], (and not often running a sshd on my own box), I
haven't been able to test this, but it seems worth trying for anyone who's
having sshd problems that might be related.

    cheers,
      DaveK

[*] - to put it mildly!