Re: Problems with archiver "ar"

[Sending this to the mailing list also, as my reply only got to eric directly...]

Hi Eric,

first of all thanks for your reply.

Sounds like ar needs to be taught about open(O_BINARY)/fopen("rb") (or be
linked with binmode.o).

Do I have to post this advice in any other list to get it to note to the correct persons?

See the other thread on this today.  First, why can't you teach your
revision control system that on a cygwin binary mount, the underlying
system uses \n line endings, not \r\n?

There are several other things which prevent this. The version control system
itself could be told to do so.

Second, you can add this to the
beginning of your script to make bash ignore \r when the file has \r\n
endings even on a cygwin binary mount:

IFS=' ''	''
' # Yes, that is space, tab, and either a 1 or 2-character EOL as needed

I tried this IFS setting right below the SHA-BANG line, but nothing changed. (I used emacs editor to be sure to write the correct characters.)

We ask that you ATTACH this, not include it inline, to avoid spurious hits
in the mail archive search engine.

I actually DID attache the particular file.

I thought you said you had to use textmode?
Sorry - I exported the configuration while I temporarily switched back to binmode
for testing when "ar" fails.

> Not Found: sh
Not good.  Are you sure evereything is installed correctly?

Yes I am. See:

$ which sh
/usr/bin/sh

$ ll /usr/bin/sh
lrwxrwxrwx 1 illenseer Kein 8 Jul 20  2005 /usr/bin/sh -> bash.exe

Any other ideas or comments on my actions? - Did I do anything wrong?

Can I mount a particular subdirectory (and all subdirs below this) in textmode while the rest of the
partition will be mounted in binmode? (If yes, how?)

Thanks,
Frank