gcc build problem - make vpath

This might be the wrong mailing list (I couldn't find
a list for make), but I hope that folks might have an
answer/explanation.

I'm getting an error building gcc on Cygwin.
Specifically, the make in libcpp fails, saying
that it cannot find a rule to make po/be.gmo
which is needed by target 'all'.

It looks like make is not recognizing VPATH correctly.
I'm using make-3.80-1.

The libcpp Makefile contains (in part) the following:

VPATH = /home/eager/src/gcc/libcpp
CATALOGS =  po/be.gmo po/ca.gmo po/da.gmo ...
USED_CATALOGS = $(CATALOGS)
all: libcpp.a makedepend$(EXEEXT) $(USED_CATALOGS)

The files are in the right location.  They are just
not being found using $VPATH.

This same makefile works correctly on Linux.

I worked around this by changing the definition
for USED_CATALOGS to the following:

USED_CATALOGS = $(CATALOGS:%.gmo=${srcdir}/%.gmo)

Is this a known bug in make?  Any suggestions about
a fix which doesn't require a change in the gcc makefile?

-- Michael Eager eager@eagercon.com 1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306 650-325-8077