RE: Mapping of \device\harddisk12 and beyond

On 31 October 2006 19:56, Loh, Joe wrote:

> We are currently using Cygwin to test an iSCSI based storage subsystem.
> Recently we are discussing about a test that will be connecting to 32
> iSCSI volumes, effectively creating a total of 33 (32 + 1 direct
> attached disk) harddisk references in Windows.  In reviewing the current
> POSIX mapping, we realized from
> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#id4676548 that
> Cygwin only maps up to /dev/sd1 <=> \device\harddisk11.
>
> Question 1: Is that the maximum number of \device\harddisk reference
> that Cygwin supports?

  Not quite: it's out of date.  Cygwin currently supports up to 26 hard disks,
from /dev/sda to /dev/sdz, corrsponding to \Device\Harddisk0 through
\Device\Harddisk25.

> Question 2: If not what is the the maximum?

  Up to you if you modify the sources.  As many as windows can support.

> Question 3: Is there anyway within Cygwin that I can "mount" the other
> \device\harddisk references beyond the limitation?

  You can modify src/winsup/cygwin/devices.in to add as many more /dev entries
as you like.  Take a look at devices.in and compare it to devices.cc (which is
auto-generated from devices.in during the build).  It won't be quite so
straightforward since all the letters are already used up, but you can adapt
whatever scheme you like for your own in-house testing tool.

    cheers,
      DaveK