.so and .dll.a files

Hi, I'm trying to use libflv in cygwin, so I build de library. The
produced files are:
/usr/lib/libflv.so
/usr/lib/libflv.so.0

when I tried to build an example command ld can't found the library it says:
ld:   cannot find -lflv

using filemon or strace I see the files are been looking for are either:
libflv.dll.a  or
flv.dll.a

so my question is how to convert from .so files to .dll.a
or how can I use directly the .so files.