bash CR and backquotes trouble

Hi,

I saw that there was some changes in bash concerning handling of CR (that raise a lot of discussion :-))

I am using bash version:
3.1.17(9)

I have tried to use shopt -s igncr but I have an issue with the following shell construct:

t=`gcc --print-multi-lib` where gcc is a mingw gcc.

As my gcc is a mingw program, it outputs CR/LFs. In previous versions bash used to ignore the CR, so t variable was not containing any CR.
Now this is no more the case and this is causing some troubles

is there anyway to configure bash in order to have backward compatibility ? ( I want to avoid adding "| tr -d '\r'")

is igncr supposed to address this ?

Thanks in advance

Nicolas