RE: setup.exe creates files outside install directory

On 06 November 2006 16:54, Ben Collver wrote:

> Good day,
>
> I installed cygwin to C:\bens\cygwin, and afterwards I found install.log
> and install.log.full under C:\cygwin\var\log.

  When setup.exe starts up, it has to open the logfile before it asks you
where you want it installed to.  If there's already a cygwin installation on
the machine, it'll use that one's /var, but if there isn't because it's the
very first run ever on the machine....  well, you can see the problem.  I
reckon you can just delete them and it won't create them again next time you
use setup.

  (Disclaimer:  I haven't checked the source code to see that this is actually
exactly what happens, but I don't see what else it could do on a
first-ever-run.)

  Hmm, maybe it would be better to fall back on %TEMP% instead of the default
cygwin install path, or to do so if the C:\cygwin directory doesn't exist.

    cheers,
      DaveK