Re: 1.5.19-4: sshd: "child_copy: linked dll data write copy failed" after computer reboot (Windows 2003 Server SP1)

On June 6, 2006, =?iso-8859-1?q?Ren=E9_Krell?= <rkrell@gk-software.com> wrote:
> Hello René,
>
> Thanks for your notes, comments below:
>
> On Sunday 04 June 2006 23:22, René Berber wrote:
> > René Krell wrote:
> > > Well, following the last recommendations I re-installed Cygwin with
> > > opensshd from scratch (see also attachment: cygcheck.out) and launched
> > > ssh-host-config like this:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > After restarting the computer connections are refused:
> > > user@host:~> ssh Administrator@192.168.60.99
> > > ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
> >
> > Did you use ssh-user-config before this?
>
> Yes, but I uninstalled all files and Cygwin registry entries and made a
> completely new installation before launching ssh-user-config again. Otherwise
> I wouldn't believen the result, too ;-)
>
> > > .... and in in /var/log/sshd.log appears again the good old song:
> > >       9 [main] sshd 2556 child_copy: linked dll data write copy failed,
> > > 0x46C000..0x46C040, done 0, windows pid 2284756, Win32 error 87
> >
> > Could this be an old log entry?
>
> No, see above. Additionally, the effect comes everytime with the same symptoms
> - connection refused on the client and this log entry.
>

> > > ... but after "Restart Service" from the service console the connection
> > > is established.
> >
> > Which should give you a clue: what is changed when the user that restarts
> > the service logs in?
>
> A goot hint, but at this point I can't get an idea ;-) Anyone else?

> > This is the PATH for user Administrator but what part is global?
>
> System Environment Variable - %Path% (...what the service should use from my
> point of view...):
> -- CTRL+C -> CTRL+V
> %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:
> \PROGRA~1\CA\SHARED~1\SCANEN~1;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
> Server\80\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\;C:
> \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\DTS\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft
> SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft
> Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\;C:\Program
> Files\Subversion\bin;d:\gkretail\sshd\bin;d:\gkretail\sshd\bin;d:
> \gkretail\sshd\bin
> --
> ==> The duplicate search path entries might result from an earlier
> installation, but shouldn't matter
>

> > Better yet, what is the path to executable in the sshd service properties?
>
> Path to executable (from the service console):
> c:\cygwin\bin\cygrunsrv.exe
>
> > [..]
> >
> > Just anti-virus or includes a firewall?
>
> There's no firewall running on the server.
>
> > [..]
> >
> > Can't see the cause of the problem.  My guess is that something is dynamic,
> > but I don't see network drives, the users appear to be local (not network)
> > users, and sshd depending on tcpip should be enough... the only suspects
> > left are not mentioned at all (a firewall and an anti-virus).

> [...]

I've been having the exact same problem for some time (except I'm on Windows
2000 rather than 2003).

Today I tried doing 'net stop sshd', then 'cygrunsrv -R sshd', then I
renamed my C:\cygwin directory to C:\cygwin.renamed, then downloaded the
latest copy of setup.exe and installed from scratch (to C:\cygwin),
selecting openssh (and of course its automatic prerequisites) as the only
non-default package.

Then did ssh-host-config and told to it use privilege separation and install
sshd as a service, and gave "ntsec" as the value of CYGWIN.

I then rebooted, but the problem was still there.  Trying to ssh into my
cygwin box gives the:

error on the client.  /var/log/sshd.log on my cygwin box contains:

         13 [main] sshd 1144 child_copy: linked dll data write copy failed,
    0x33F000..0x33F050, done 0, windows pid 2276708, Win32 error 487

Do a 'net stop sshd' and a 'net start sshd', and then I can connect in fine.

sshd started up at boot time just fine for years on this box.  I believe the
issue started occurring when I upgraded from Cygwin 1.5.18-1 to 1.5.21-1,
but it might have been an openssh upgrade instead that started causing the
problem.  I have had at least a couple of different openssh version updates
on here since I started having the problem (most recently 4.4p1) and it is
still occurring.

Help...?  ;^>

--
Dan Harkless