Re: 1.5.21-1: sshd occasionally fails to start

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006, Tom Mount wrote:

> On 11/17/06, Igor Peshansky <> wrote:
> > Ugh, top-posting...  Reformatted.
> >
> > On Fri, 17 Nov 2006, Tom Mount wrote:
> >
> > > On 11/16/06, Larry Hall (Cygwin) <reply-to-list-only-lh@XXXXXX.XXX> wrote:
> >
> > <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> > > For kicks I shut down the sshd process and attempted to start it right
> > > back up. No dice. Here's the output from my bash window:
> > >
> > > Tmount@CS8664 ~
> > > $ cygrunsrv -Q tcpip
> > > Service             : tcpip
> > > Display name        : TCP/IP Protocol Driver
> > > Description         : TCP/IP Protocol Driver
> > > Current State       : Running
> > > Controls Accepted   : Stop
> > >
> > > Tmount@CS8664 ~
> > > $ net start sshd
> > > The CYGWIN sshd service is starting.
> > > The CYGWIN sshd service could not be started.
> > >
> > > A system error has occurred.
> > >
> > > System error 1067 has occurred.
> > >
> > > The process terminated unexpectedly.
> > >

> > > Tmount@CS8664 ~
> > > $ cygrunsrv -S sshd
> > > cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32
> > > error 1062: The service has not been started.
> >
> > Do you have any extra information in the Event Log or in
> > /var/log/sshd.log?
> >         Igor
> > --
> >                                 http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
> >       |\      _,,,---,,_            pechtcha@ | igor@

Thanks, Tom, I appreciate your effort in removing the email addresses in
my .signature, but just to clarify, the PCYMTNQREAIYR acronym only refers
to the lead-in string (i.e., Joe <joe@example.com> wrote:), since that is
a way of accidentally making someone's email address ripe for spammers to
pick up.  By putting the addresses in my signature, I have made a
conscious choice to make them available, so there is no need to sanitize
them.  FWIW, feel free to remove the signature altogether from the quoted
text (most mailers do that automatically).

> sshd.log is empty. 0 bytes. In the even log I have errors like "The
> CYGWIN sshd service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 15
> time(s)." These errors follow information entries like "The CYGWIN
> sshd service was successfully sent a start control." Earlier in the
> morning before I started messing with this, I got the following
> information entry: "The system detected that network adapter
> \DEVICE\TCPIP_{84D85DA7-3BDE-4091-9024-B1AA02CDDEB5} was connected to
> the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network
> adapter." I point that out because the source was "Tcpip."

Looks like you're examining the wrong log.  Take a look at the Application
log, rather than the System log.  There should be messages from "sshd" or
"Cygwin sshd".

> I'm wondering why sshd.log would be empty and if that means anything
> for this problem. The SYSTEM user is the owner of the file, and it's
> got full control minus execute permissions. The service is being run
> by the local system account, so it should be able to interact with
> that log file, right?

It should be, but sshd uses the syslog mechanism to log events, and syslog
messages by default go to the Windows Event Log.  One way to rectify that
would be to install syslogd as a service, and configure it to send
messages from sshd to /var/log/sshd.log.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"