Re: 1.5.21-1 Release: System resources not freed, can lead to system reboot.

Dave Silvia wrote:
I have a simple script that illustrates a problem I'm dealing with in installing
a software package which operates under Cygwin. It uses a modified
configure/config.status scripting and then runs a make. The problem is that when
the scripts are running, it seems they keep invoking other scripts and the
resources are left allocated. So, by the time it gets to the make, there are not
enough resources and the build aborts. When I go into Windows Task Manager, even
though the Cygwin (bash) shells have long since terminated, the resources are
not freed.

If I run the simple script, it shows the same type of behavior, i.e., slowly
eroding resources. And, if I just let it keep running, it doesn't see that the
resources have been used up and the system reboots.

----------
#!/bin/sh

#filename: keepGoing.sh

echo Howdy!

./keepGoing.sh

Well, yes, you have an infinite recursion similar to a classical stack overflow, only in this instance it is processes that you overflow. That last line invokes a new shell process to run the script, and waits for said process to exit. What are you *expecting* to happen? Your script fails to illustrate any reasonable problem.

thx,
Dave S.
[three wx* links snipped]

Hmm, that's a lot of lines for a .sig, especially rather spammy ones. If those are yours, you might want to consider a more polite (read: shorter) signature.

--
Matthew
"Braaaaaaaaiins!" -- Zombies