Cygwin slower on one computer

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out why Cygwin build things so much slower on one computer I have. We're talking about more than 3 times slower on a computer that ought to be a bit faster (Athlon64 at 2.2-2.4 GHz, compared to a Pentium M at 1.8 GHz).

After digging into strace logs a bit, it seems like the Athlon is a bit faster at first, but after a while (after creating a bunch of child processes?), things change, making it a bit slower. Mostly not too much, around 10-20% or so, but sometimes about 100%. And there's one step where this could make things really bad. During startup of a program, lines like the following are displayed (some whitespace editing done):

   59      294 [main] make 2936 child_copy: dll data -
               hp 0x6BC low 0x61100000, high 0x61104BA0, res 1
157457  157751 [main] make 2936 child_copy: dll bss -
               hp 0x6BC low 0x6113F000, high 0x611483E0, res 1
  205   157956 [main] make 2936 child_copy: user heap -
               hp 0x6BC low 0x680000, high 0x6A0000, res 1
   25   157981 [main] make 2936 child_copy: done

Now, that "dll bss" copy time fluctuates quite a bit, so in one case (from the Athlon computer) the time is 32146275... (It might be worth mentioning that the log in question is some 35 MB. Maybe that can throw the timing off a bit?)

Any ideas what could cause this slowdown? Could the child_copy part be involved? Since it involves the Win32 functions ReadProcessMemory/WriteProcessMemory, I imagine it could impact performance noticeably, in unpredictable ways (since it would need to mess around with memory protection stuff).

One thing that suggests something strange is going on is the fact that if I have a background process running (like Folding@Home (which doesn't affect the build time, btw)), the CPU load drops noticably (according to Process Explorer), from 100% to something like 75-85%.

I've tried disabling anti-virus, firewalls, background processes and the like, but it has little to no impact on the build times.

Magnus