Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: xemacs-21.4.20-2/xemacs-tags-21.4.20-2/xemacs-emacs-common-21.4.20-2

----- Original Message ----
From: Charles Wilson <xxx@yyy>
To: xxx@yyy
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2006 8:55:50 PM
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: xemacs-21.4.20-2/xemacs-tags-21.4.20-2/xemacs-emacs-common-21.4.20-2

>Dr. Volker Zell wrote:
>> A new version of 'xemacs' has been uploaded to a server near you.
>>     * Fix: xpm no-X builds were broken on cygwin with /bin/gcc.
>
>Was this a libXpm-noX deficiency, or something else?

Chuck,

This was a patch I posted to the XEmacs list that was required due to
the library name change (libXpm.dll.a --> libXpm-noX.dll.a). I
/almost/ posted a question here about it (i.e., was the name change
intentional), but quickly realized that Cygwin package maintainers
never do anything unintentional, so I just hit 'delete' instead of 'send'.

>>     * Fix: Support renamed xpm no-X library under cygwin.
>
>Whoops.  I meant to include compatibility link/import libraries but I
>forgot: e.g.
>   /usr/lib/noX/libXpm.dll.a -> /usr/lib/noX/libXpm-noX.dll.a
>
>However, now that xemacs has already adapted to the new name, AND xemacs
>is the only known user of this library, I wonder if it is worth it to
>release a new version with those compatibility links, now?

FWIW, I don't think the compatibility links are necessary if XEmacs is the only package using it.

--Rick