Re: something goes wrong while compiling linux kernel under cygwin

andy wang <ypwangreg <at> gmail.com> writes:

> As David said, I think you are trying to cross-compile the kernel on
> the cygwin. and luckyly there is a post today about "crosstool-0.43 &
> cygwin", I think it is what you want. and notice that you also need to
> mount a directory using "-o managed", because on windows the name of
> file and directory is none-case-sensitive. when mount directory with
> that options, the name is case-sensitive. failed to do that will cause
> the compiling error because of missing files.
>
> actually, the crosstool already notice this, so when you installed and
> select the gcc and kernel to compile, it will compile ok most of time
> because it already skip the modules which can cause that problem.
>
> Good luck
>
> Regards,
> Andy
>
> On 12/16/06, Leo Liu <desfilms <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi, i'm a newbie to use cygwin under windows. I have known steps of
compiling
> > kernel under Linux. For some reason, i want to compile linux kernel under
> > Windows now. But i met some problems which stops me to continue.

Thank David and Andy, i'm very appreciate for your replies, your answers are
so helpful for me.

But there is a little issue when i'm using command:
"mount -o cygexec -o managed /cygdrive/d/testdir1 /testdir2".

I'm not familiar with Win32's path syntax under cygwin, so error stdout of
shell always show me:
"mount: /testdir: Invalid argument".

Can you tell me what is wrong with my syntax? Or can you give me a good
example using "-o managed"?

Below is my mount stdout:
C:\MyDownloads\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
C:\MyDownloads\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
C:\MyDownloads\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
c: on /cygdrive/c type system (binmode,noumount)
d: on /cygdrive/d type system (binmode,noumount)
e: on /cygdrive/e type system (binmode,noumount)
f: on /cygdrive/f type system (binmode,noumount)
g: on /cygdrive/g type system (binmode,noumount)

Actually, i just need to compile linux kernel on x86 arch. So if the case-
sensitive problem is solved, can it fix my original problem?

Sorry for my limited knowledge, but i really need this for work.