Re: libraries

Larry, thank you for the explanation regarding libraries.

On 12/14/06, Larry Hall (Cygwin) <reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:
Wynfield Henman wrote:
> I have managed to confuse myself regarding libraries under cygwin,
> after reading extensively on building dlls under cygwin.....
>
> Please check if my understanding is correct.
> (1) For simple static libraries ld's output is fine.
>     Because only cygwin code will access it.
>
> (2) Does this follow with *nix shared library format? (if only used by
> cygwin programs which
>    emulate *nix (does it also know about shared library objects)?
>
> (3) The ms-dll shared library format is only necessary if we want
> ms-programs to be able to
>     use the program.

There's no incompatibility of object format between Cygwin static libs and those created by the MS compiler. Ditto for DLLs. There is no such thing as shared libraries in the traditional UNIX sense on Windows. The only "incompatibilities" between Cygwin built libs/DLLs and MS's are:

   1. References to C++ in libs/DLLs built in one won't be resolved in the
      other (this is true when mixing and matching C++ object code from any
      compiler).  This is not a problem for C code.

   2. Calling Cygwin compiled code from a native executable needs some extra
      steps to make sure that the Cygwin C-runtime initialization code gets
      called.  The reverse situation is not generally a problem.

Larry...