Re: bash, rxvt and interactive shells not exiting as expected

Dave Korn wrote:
On 19 December 2006 23:43, Jason Curl wrote:

Now, AFAICT rxvt should be starting bash as a login shell in interactive
mode. When I close the window from RXVT, a SIGHUP should be sent to
bash, and according to the manpages from bash this should also cause
SIGHUPs to all the other processes (e.g. effectively stopping everything
from "log.sh"). I've also tried setting "shopt -s huponexit" but this
doesn't have the effect I need.

Instead, what I see is that after the RXVT shell is closed, there are
still at least the first two processes that were started in the
background are still running! I had expected them to quit.

Any ideas?

See this thread:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Re%3A+Bash+process+remains+after+I+close+rxvt
+in+certain+ways&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&cli
ent=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official

Yep - read through that just now. I'm supposedly running a patched version of rxvt (rxvt-20050409-4) that contains some adjustments for the zombie bash.

particularly http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-12/msg00211.html

Dunno if the test version is out yet. Haven't looked.

cheers, DaveK