Re: Missing Programs

"Harold Fuchs" wrote in message emir0p$jc0$1@sea.gmane.org">news:emir0p$jc0$1@sea.gmane.org...
Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
[snip]

A: Yes.
Q: Are you sure?
A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top posting annoying in email?

I'll treat myself for Christmas ;-)
Thanks, Harold
PS I disagree fundamentally with your sentiment about top posting: (a) I
come from an era when the *only* way to get e-mails was on paper (I had
e-mail in 1979 and was by no means the first in my company) and (b) if you
have been following the conversation, why repeat everything that's been said
before coming to the latest point? And if you haven't been following the
conversation then you deserve the pain ;-)

Umm... I'm not sure what you really disagree with. It sounds like you are more arguing about quoting in email. The quoting is very important. It helps clairify which email is being responded to. (Very important, especially on mailing lists) It gives context. etc. But quoting should generally be limited to the relevent parts of the mail. There is definately no need to repeat everything that has been said before comming to the latest point.

And top posting can be problematic when reply to multiple points in an email. It is preferable to place your responses directly after the relevent quote.
It is good for clairy and organization.

But this is getting off topic. Please continue on cygwin-talk. (I unfortuantle cannot set the followup-to header, because I'm posting via Gmane with OE.)