Re: Updated cygwin dlls cause unnecessary reboot on NT

Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Wed, Dec 27, 2006 at 07:17:47PM -0600, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
Igor Peshansky wrote:
Open-source works by scratching your itch, not by getting someone else to scratch it for you.
Actually getting someone else to scratch that itch sometimes does work!
Right! And, the perfect way to have the itch scratched is to claim that you know better than everyone else, imply that people don't care about the end-user experience, assert that you won't even bother submitting a patch because it would be automatically rejected for no good reason, rail about flaws in open source, ignore patient attempts to explain how things work, and never give up in the face of logical arguments, relying instead on repeating all of the above ad infinitum.

This technique is, apparently, a sure-fire way to get someone to do something for you. We're just still in the ad infinitum stage. As soon as that stage is over, someone will surely get to work on this crucial patch.
I was being funny (and I did have a smiley though I don't see it in the quote). You are apparently being sarcastic.

No that is not the perfect way as you describe, sarcasm aside. There are ways to be gently persuasive ya know. Indeed often times just bringing up a technical topic, even through a raging argument, spurs creative solutions and engineers being what they are often get motivated to find that solution (though perhaps not this bunch...;-)

BTW That last bit was intended to be a joke.

--

Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Did ya hear? They took the word gullible out of the dictionary!