Re: Cygwin slower on one computer

Magnus Holmgren wrote:

I'm trying to figure out why Cygwin build things so much slower on one computer I have. We're talking about more than 3 times slower on a computer that ought to be a bit faster (Athlon64 at 2.2-2.4 GHz, compared to a Pentium M at 1.8 GHz).

This is a little embarrassing, but I finally found out what caused the large speed difference. You might've guessed it: the firewall.

In this case, it was the Kerio Personal Firewall. I'm guessing it is the "host intrusion prevention system" module that causes it (not that I had it enabled). When using the Windows built-in firewall (same as on the Pentium M system), the Athlon system is indeed a bit faster.

Thanks for the info, it helped me to track down the problem.
Both systems (Intel 3200 and AMD 3200+) I tested recently actually have the KPF installed.

The root of the problem is the "host intrusion prevention system" driver khips.sys.

Even if this feature is turned off (or unavailable in the free version), the driver keeps running and slows down fork() considerably.
(It probably hooks somewhere into Read/WriteProcessMemory())

Stopping the firewall service does not help.
Only stopping the driver ("sc stop khips") or uninstalling KPF helps.

Result (real time) for "time ./configure" on AMD 3200+:

KPF installed but turned off: 5m38 (!)

KPF removed or khips.sys stopped: 0m26

The problem is still present in the current version 4.3.268.

Christian