Re: Cygwin make menuconfig hangs

Gabriel Goldstein wrote:
Hello,

Currently I can build the linux kernel 2.6.17 under Cygwin without issue
with a stock .config file from my development board supplier (ARM9,
AT91RM9200).  However, I can not get make menuconfig to work.

I'm using 'make ARCH=arm KBUILD_HAVE_NLS=no menuconfig'.  Originally
this was failing all over the place during the linker looking for
ncurses.  After many attempts at various things (compiled ncurses-5.5
with library option, etc) trying to get a .so file, I come to kind of
realize that a .so and a dll may be the same thing.  So I 'ln -s
libncurses.dll.a libncurses.so' and menu config compiles.  So I get past
the linker.

How it just sits there stalled, looking at me, doing nothing:

$ make  ARCH=arm KBUILD_HAVE_NLS=no menuconfig
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/split-include
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/docproc
  HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/mconf
  HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/lxdialog
Info: resolving _COLS by linking to __imp__COLS (auto-import)
Info: resolving _LINES by linking to __imp__LINES (auto-import)
Info: resolving _stdscr by linking to __imp__stdscr (auto-import)
scripts/kconfig/mconf arch/arm/Kconfig
<hung>

It does this with or without the .config file in place.

A ps tells me 2 copies of make, mconf, and lxdialog are running in the
background.

I'm not sure if the linking thing is right or something else I'm
missing.

Please help!

Ignoring the fact that Cygwin's gcc will not cross-compile to Linux,
you're right in observing that .so's are not the same as DLLs.  Actually,
.so's are quite different from DLLs and Windows will not recognize them.
If you're actually building a Linux target libncurses.so, you don't want
it renamed.  And if you're targeting Windows, you want to build ncurses.dll
and libncurses.dll.a.  So I think you're a little confused about what you
want (or your message to this list is confusing).  In any case, since you're
not using Cygwin's gcc for this, your question is also off-topic.  You
should take your questions to the site/supplier of the gcc you're using
to build Linux targets with.

Holliston, MA 01746