Re: activestate perl on cygwin

DePriest, Jason R. wrote:
> checked activestate. Then I needed some modules, DBD:Orcale to be exact.
Maybe you should have looked for DBD::Oracle instead? :-)
According to ActiveState's website
(http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/ActivePerl/5.8/faq/ActivePerl-faq2.html)

DBD::Oracle Oracle no longer provides the Oracle client libraries for
Apparently somebody didn't get the joke/prod that I was doing based on the fact that the OP misspelled Oracle as Orcale and mistyped the "::" as ":"...

And damn I included a smiley...
Aside from the grammatical errors my point still stands. AFAIK ppm, ActiveState's module installer, only works in ActiveState and I don't believe that ActiveState works on Linux, Unix and Macs, whereas the

It looks like PPM3 works with all the OSes that ActiveState releases perl for which include Windows, Linux, MacOS X, Solaris, and HP-UX.
Apparently ActiveState has been ported to more platforms than I was aware of. Still, authors on CPAN, in general, don't know or think about PPM (AFAICT) and just do things in what they consider the "standard" way (perl -MCPAN). I guess my point can be boiled down to "Why fight the trend?". YMMV

That plus that annual subscription fee is way out of my $0.00 software budget! ;-)
I am not so sure about PPM2. It only has instructions for Windows.

Again, we have moved way out of the realm of relevance to cygwin at this point.
Yes but it is fun isn't it?

--

Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Doesn't "expecting the unexpected" make the unexpected the expected.