Re: activestate perl on cygwin

Kevin T Cella wrote:
But it is a bad idea to use ActiveState under Cygwin. Would you prefer if we lied to you?
No, I'd prefer you answer my question.
Actually, being technical about this and looking at your OP there is no question there at all! Search for it. Look for a question mark. There is none. There is merely the sentence "Please advise" and that's what you got!
I can't use Activestate perl on cygwin by not using Activestate perl on cygwin. Do you see the contradiction?
"I can't use this pair of pliers to tow this boat. Please advise". - Well how about cha use a tow instead?

That aside, others have already addressed your unstated and off topic questions. Again, sorry you don't like the answers you got and have fun with your pliers.
My scripts are written to make my life on Windows easier, so that means using Windows specific code to automate common tasks.
But you really don't need to do such things in a "Windows specific" way! I used to run my whole domain under Cygwin. Apache for my web server, exim for a mail server, Cygwin's own inetutils for ftp, ssh, etc. Everything ran fine albeit a bit slower due to the fact that Cygwin is an emulation environment.
Seeing as how you don't know what common tasks I am trying to automate, I don't see how you can presume to know the scripts do not have to be written in a Windows specific way.
It's pretty much a given unless you simply insist on doing it in a Windows specific way.
Suppose your theory is that any script written for Windows can be written to work with Linux. As I stated earlier, I do not wish to port my existing scripts to cygwin.
Then have fun with your little problem there bud.
And if the real, long term, more portable solution is to use a Cygwin based, thus more normal Perl...
I'm asking for the short term solution.
I gave you an answer for your "short term solution". If you insist on using a Windows oriented product such as ActiveState then fire up cmd and type in Windows specific path names to your Windows only ActiveState Perl scripts. Where's the problem?
Answers were provided to you. Apparently they don't tickle your fancy. People have commented on that wrapper script that you posted. I still don't see what your problem is. If your Perl script expects C:\mydir\foo.dat then give it C:\mydir\foo.dat. Of course you'll need to do that under a cmd shell or, for Cygwin's bash shell you'll need to double the backslashes (C:\\mydir\\foo.dat) or use forward slashes (C:/mydir/foo.dat). If you insist on giving your Perl script /cygdrive/c/mydir/foo.dat then perhaps your Perl script should expect that and translate it. A quick Perl subroutine to do that shouldn't be that hard to code.
Other posts have indicated how this is not possible.
Funny I do it every day.
Executing a script That appears in my $PATH will automatically expand using cygwin style pathing.
This statement doesn't even make sense. What exactly is expanding? If you type myscript.pl 'C:\\Cygwin\\tmp\\file' and myscript.pl echoes out the first arg what do *you* get?
Answers were provided, but not to my original question. I still have no way to execute the command below and a regular script on cygwin using Activestate.

perl -e 'print join "\n", @INC, "\n";'
Maybe you should ask ActiveState...

--

Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>