Re: HISTFILE in zsh

"Peter A. Castro" <doctor@fruitbat.org> writes:

> On Sat, 23 Dec 2006, Eli Barzilay wrote:
>
> Greetings, Eli,
>    (Sorry for the long delay, vacation, etc etc.)
>
> > I'm having the same problem that is described at
> >
> >  http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-12/msg00195.html
> >
> > I'm surprised that it was reported in 2004 -- I use cygwin on several
> > machines with no problems, it's only a new one that is having the
> > above symptom.
> >
> > (Which is related to saving/loading the history file -- `fc -R foo'
> > and `fc -W foo' also hang.  Using strace, it looks like the problem is
> > some kind of an infinite loop that is related to a lock file for the
> > history file.)
>
> I've seen this reported before, but I still can't seem to reproduce
> it.  Can you collect the system info as per
> http://www.cygwin.com/problems.html

You mean running cygcheck as said there?  I've put the results at
http://tmp.barzilay.org/zsh/.

> In your debugging, what routine were you seeing the loop?  Was it zsh
> code or cygwin code?  Was it a system call returning a bad value?  I'd
> like to track this down finally.

I'm not sure, it's probably best if someone who knows more about
zsh/cygwin will look -- so I've ran another straced zsh, and dumped
the result in the same place.  (The bzipped file opens to about 50mb,
the fact that it compressed down to so little is a cute way to see
that something is stuck in an infinite loop...)

> Lastly, have you tried the latest cygwin snapshot?

It was there when I posted, so it's supposed to still be pretty
recent.  I'm willing to try to update if you think it will help
(otherwise, I prefer to keep a working installation).

(BTW, I'm reading/posting through Gmane, so please CC me.)