Re: Perl bug?

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> Hello?  Am I in the wrong movie?
>
> This is no serious application.  I'm demonstrating a problem.
>
> Every allocation uses twice as much memory as necessary.  This is no
> problem as long as the process doesn't eat up the virtual memory for
> a process.  As soon as no memory is available, I'd expect the GC kicking
> in, but it doesn't.  Half of the VM is used up for temporary memory
> and never free'd, not even when the VM is used up.  This shows a memory
> leak.  The GC apparently doesn't know about this temporary memory
Perl doesn't have GC like Java. It uses just reference counting, nothing
else, IIRC. There must be some reference that gets freed only at the end
of block. If you think about it makes sense a little bit when we are
talking about lexical variables.

> anymore, otherwise it would free it and try to reuse it.  It doesn't.
> Use strace and you'll see.  That's not hard to understand, is it?
>

> Corinna

If I were you I would report it as a bug to their bug tracker.

--
Vaclav Haisman