Re: bug with built-in commands in bash when redirecting output

The following one liner illustrates a bug in sh:
$ /bin/bash -c '/bin/bash -cx '\''x=`echo hello`'\''' > @x
++ echo hello
+ x=$'hello\r'
$

I'm wondering if the problem I am seeing is from the same source. I find that 'apachectl stop' no longer works since a recent cygwin update. I can see that the PIDFILE is being written with a \r\n line ending. 'apachectl stop' then reads the file with

PID=`cat $PIDFILE`

$PID then includes the \r character, and the subsequent kill operation fails as a result.

Is there something that changed recently that is causing this to fail now? I'm pretty sure this worked until recently.

Norton Allen