Matlab Hangs at startup

Hi,

I'm using Cygwin to run Matlab 6.5 remotely off a unix server.  I'm using the
ssh command to connect to the server.  Here is a good tutorial on what SHOULD
happen when doing this, which I have been following:

http://remus.rutgers.edu/~xmi/cs323/remote_matlab.htm

I am able to run Matlab if I just type "matlab" at the command prompt, but it
then enters matlab in the SAME window as the command prompt, not in a new
window...ie, it doesn't have any of the nice windowed command structure that is
displayed if you use Matlab on a real windows install.  At a previous
institution, I was able to use Matlab in its full windowed environment remotely
using Exceed by typing "matlab &" at the command prompt, which then opened it
in
a new window with all the lovely file structure.

However, using Cygwin, if I type "matlab &" it opens the Matlab load (er,
splash?) screen, and hangs there for all eternity, never fully opening the
program.  There must be something set wrong, but I have no idea what it is.
While I can technically run matlab using the command prompt window, I can't use
the editor, or the graphical variable structure interface, or the graphical help
window, etc in this mode.

My Sygwin version was updated on Feb 7th, 2007, and is version: 2.510.2.2
Matlab version 6.5.0.180913a

I am aware my Matlab version is not the latest version, I am on a university
campus using a site lisence and do not have the authority to simply go and buy
the newest version.  I did search through the Cygwin mailing list and did not
find anyone else who had this problem.  There was a similar problem to this
posted on the Matlab help archives, but it was found using PC-Xware:

http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/data/1-175G9.html?1-175G9

(see "Problem 3") and appears to be an issue with how the colors are drawn on
the screen, though I don't have any idea how to tweak this in Cygwin.

Thanks,

Dr Theodore Martin
School of Physics
University of New South Wales