Re: Help. Cygwin corrupting files

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>> I have no idea what this Daemon tools thing is. Hooks into the file
>> system. Gee that's beginning to sound like a root-kit!
>
> Last I checked, it is a program to allow you to mount CD images as "real
> drives". Since it is supposed to make them look "real" enough to even
> fool certain copy protection schemes (and since Windows doesn't have
> built-in iso9660-over-loopback mount support like Linux does), I'm not
> surprised that it "hooks into the file system". Actually, if anything I
> would be surprised if it could do its thing *without* doing so.
>
> A "benevolent" rootkit, perhaps?

And honestly I only *suspect* it may be the cause. I don't remember
exactly when the first time I noticed the problem was but I *think* it
was around the time I installed Daemon Tools. Not 100% sure though.

I'd buy into the HD-getting-ready-to-fail argument more if I saw
weirdness on Windows too, but I don't. At least not yet. Plus scans of
the HD with both Tuneup Utilities and Windows itself are not turning
anything up.