shell commands won't run from within a shell script bash version 3.2.9-11

When I start the cygwin window I can run commands such
as env and cd or anything else i have tried.  however when
i try to run a shell script with commands inside it, none of
the commands within the script will execute properly.

for instance

test.sh contains 1 line
env

when it executes the following message is produced:

: command not found env

I just did a scratch install today.

Thanks,

Randy Rainwater