Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] EOL for Windows 95/86/Me

Corinna Vinschen skrev:
On Feb 13 21:02, Yaakov (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
Christopher Faylor wrote:
So, barring any catastrophic problems with the current released version
of the Cygwin DLL, the last Cygwin version with support for
non-Windows-NT class versions of Windows will be 1.5.24-2.
And approximately what is the timeframe to 1.7.0; weeks, months, next
year?  Is HEAD stable enough for those not working on cygwin1.dll to be
testing?

Months. It's stable enough now but it's constantly changing. Stability in snapshots is not guaranteed.

Exciting new stuff so far (IMHO):

- New blocking socket code
- getaddrinfo/getnameinfo/freeaddrinfo
- IPv6 (>= XP, 2K w/ IPv6 Helper Lib)
- POSIX advisory functions (posix_fallocate, posix_fadvise,
  posix_memalign, posix_madvise)
- Treat directory reparse points and native symlinks as symlinks
- Up to 128 SCSI disk block devices
- New setuid method which allows to logon without password and being
  recognized correctly also by native Windows applications
- More POSIXy unlink/rmdir behaviour
- Resolver functions from minires now part of Cygwin
- New struct ifconf, plus /proc/net/if_inet6 using unambiguos interface
  GUID name of Windows (>= XP SP1)
- Multicast support (>= XP SP1)
- POSIX shared memory objects
- POSIX message queues (coming today)

More to come.

Corinna

Corinna, I love you! I'm so excited about these changes!

- Eric