Re: problem installing cygwin+sshd

>> > $ /usr/sbin/sshd -D -ddd
>> > /var/empty must be owned by root and not group or world-writable.
>
> I've already recognized this message, but as I wanted to chown to
> root, I was told that there's no "root"-user in the system...
>
> Now I "chown"ed to myself:root and now it works -> sshd is up for one
> connection ("ssh localhost") and ends when closing the connection.
>
> Afterwards I "chown"ed /var/empty/ to SYSTEM:root and again tried to
> start sshd as a service, but same error-message as before -> did I
> come closer to the solution, now I know, that sshd works from
> commandline?

These sound like the same steps I have gone through.  sshd asks for
root, but it is actually SYSTEM.  This is what I ended up with on 2
different working systems:

drwxr-xr-x+ 2 SYSTEM Administrators 0 Sep  5 15:53 /var/empty
dr-xr-xr-x+ 2 SYSTEM root 0 Jan 10 12:57 /var/empty

ok - this prcondition should be clear now => chown SYSTEM:root /var/empty chmod 755 /var/empty

But these did not work for me either when I tried running it from the
command line (instead of a service).  It had to be owned by the current
user. [...]

ok - same I found out for running sshd from commandline.

The ownership/permissions were the problem on another system I debugged,
but this box ended up having a totally different problem.  It had a
program running with so many connections that Window's netstat program
would not work anymore.  We rebooted and then sshd worked, as well as
netstat.  The moral of the story is that if netstat isn't working, don't
bother trying to run sshd.

unfortunately "netstat" *does* work on that machine (there are only 5 connections to only 2 different nodes open!) ...

michi