Re: Rsync stops responding via SSH

On 2/21/07, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
Roald Hendriks wrote:
<snip>
> Is it possible that I'm suffering from this known issue?
>
> Is there a patch available?
>
> I'm using OpenSSH 4.5p1-1 and rsync 2.6.6. I have even compiled rsync
> 2.6.9, but this has not resolved the issue.
>
> In order to rule out a server issue, I was able to reproduce the
> problem on another server as well (using a fresh install of CygWin).

Yes, this is a known and long-standing issue with rsync on Cygwin.  There
has been much talk about it and some attempts to fix it but, to my
knowledge, no one is currently working on it.  So, for now, it is a
limitation of rsync on Cygwin.

There has been code in cygwin for some years now, that attempts to fix this, but it is not activated by default, due to it having the potential to cause more problems than it solves (shifting the problem from one of deadlocking on a full pipe, to deadlocking on an empty pipe). It wouldn't be a good idea to use cygwin with this code activated, for general purposes, but if all you wanted was to run some automated rsync scripts and nothing else, maybe it would do the trick for you. Look at the #if 0 in peek_pipe() in select.cc.