Re: mkpasswd -l gives wrong local user

Rockefeller, Harry wrote:
I had a PC with full cygwin install.  Then my company
replaced it with a more powerful PC and in the process
copied C:\Cygwin over to the new PC.

When I run "mkpasswd -l" instead of giving user 'harryr'
I get another user:

If you're supposing that because you're logged into this machine with
"harryr" that "harryr" should show up as a local user, you're proceeding
from a false supposition.  "harryr" is a domain user.  If you want it to
appear in the '/etc/passwd' file, you need to add the '-d' flag to
'mkpasswd'.  You should do the same for 'mkgroup'.  Or you could add a
"harryr" as a local user to the machine but that new user would not be
the same as your domain user.  Windows will see these two as different
users completely.

FWIW, the only local user I see that likely wasn't just created by some
installation program is "Ryan".

Holliston, MA 01746