RE: bash: tar: command not found

>>Don't extract things using non-Cygwin tools unless you really know
what
>>you're doing (or have been told to do so).  You can make a real mess
doing
>>this.
I would've used CYGWIN, but, unfortunately, tar didn't work ;)

>>If you're saying by the above that you have c:\cygwin\bin\bunzip2.exe
>>and can run it from the shell the same way as you are attempting to
run
>>'tar', then I would say that you have a bad tar package.  Try
installing
>>it from a different mirror and see if that helps.
I haven't really had any problems with anything *but* tar, except maybe
apropos.  I've been going through a Linux tutorial, and I've hit a snag,
since, apparently, you can't install software without tar.

I tried installing from a different mirror, but to no avail.  I think
I'll probably try to uninstall and start from scratch.

>>FWIW, 'setup.exe' reports 'tar-1.16.1-1.tar.bz2' as a 696K file.
I guess it doesn't really make sense to send the unzipped file, but I
was referring to tar-1.16.1-1.tar, which is 2MB.

Thanks for your help.