RE: bash: tar: command not found

>>Did you even try typing /usr/bin/tar at any point?

>>This means that tar.exe has been unpacked into C:\cygwin\usr\bin.
That's
>>why setup thinks it's installed.  But you can't find it in your $PATH
or
>>anything, because when cygwin goes to look in /usr/bin (which is where
tar.exe
>>has been put by winzip), it actually looks in your /bin dir.  And
doesn't find
>>it.

>>In a default cygwin install, there is nothing in Windows equivalent to
the
>>/usr/bin directory, because cygwin sets up a mount so that /usr/bin
points
>>to the same place as /bin.

I thank you all for your help.  Tar.exe does not exist in the /bin
directory, or anywhere else under C:\cygwin.  Winzip may have created
the /usr/bin folder, but it didn't put anything in it.  It gave me an
error.  Even when I tried to drag and drop the file onto the desktop, it
said that it couldn't find the file.

>>The fix would be to go into your C:\cygwin\usr directory, using a DOS
shell
>>or windows explorer, and delete the bin dir.  Then re-run setup.exe,
telling
>>it to "install from local directory", just click on ok to everything
all the
>>way through, and it should reinstall everything that you deleted to
the
>>correct place.
I tried this, but to no avail.  I guess I'm back to starting from
scratch.  Thanks, again.