RE: bash: tar: command not found

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, Dave Korn wrote:

> [snip]
>   This means that tar.exe has been unpacked into C:\cygwin\usr\bin.
> That's why setup thinks it's installed.

Not quite.  Setup only uses /etc/setup to find out what packages are
installed.  I suspect a corrupt package instead.  That is not to say that
WinZip should ever be used to install Cygwin packages, or course.

>   The fix would be to go into your C:\cygwin\usr directory, using a DOS
> shell or windows explorer, and delete the bin dir.

Or go to /cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr from a Cygwin shell and use Cygwin to do
this. :-)

> Then re-run setup.exe, telling it to "install from local directory",
> just click on ok to everything all the way through, and it should
> reinstall everything that you deleted to the correct place.

To the OP: you will need to tell setup to reinstall the tar package
(preferably from a different mirror than you've used in the past).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

Freedom is just another word for "nothing left to lose"...  -- Janis Joplin