Re: Install problem on XP SP2

Aaron W. LaFramboise wrote:

I've been unable to successfully install Cygwin on an XP SP2 machine after several tries.

I have been able to install successfully, after repeated attempts. However, I have not really resolved the problem.

Apparently, and I've had problems with this in the past, not all packages are downloaded during the 'download all packages' stage. This can happen for various reasons, none of them very obvious. Sometimes you can fix this by doing a second download pass, where it will pick up the ones it missed. Sometimes this doesn't work, mysteriously. Hypothetical reasons: broken mirror, local system problems, random setup.exe bug, interference with existing installation, high humidity.

Bug 1) Packages are silently not downloaded, when the user assumes that they are.

*** If there's a problem with a mirror or the local system, or something else that causes the download to not work, there needs to be a very visible warning.

Bug 2) There is no md5sum for the entire repository, meaning there is no way for the user to personally verify that a mirror has the correct stuff, or that his download was correct.

*** The md5.sum in sourceware.org should include the entire release folder, rather than just setup.*, so people can verify file integrity, as well as confirming that they have all of the files they need to have.

Bug 3) If the user has requested a full install, but a package is missing, this error is ignored silently.

*** This is the most serious problem, and likely the cause of many of the mysterious install failures that are never analyzed, or are blamed on virus checkers etc. When a package is requested, but the matching package file is missing, a very serious error message needs to appear, and setup.exe should abort.

It's possible I've fundamentally misunderstood the operation of setup.exe in some way or another; in fact, as a user of it since the beginning, I believe this is probably likely. If so, I apologize, but nonetheless, this utility needs to be fixed so that these problems won't happen; or alternately be replaced by a more mature, better maintained alternative.