Re: Setup.exe Problems on Vista

Brian Dessent wrote:
"Michael D. Adams" wrote:
he workaround for this problem that I have found is to set the
*Windows* path to include C:\cygwin\bin before running setup.exe.  So
for example this sequence works:

set PATH=C:\cygwin\bin;%PATH%
setup.exe

Then /bin/sh is actually created, the prompt is the usual Cygwin settings, etc.
Of course the proper solution would be to find and fix the root cause.
Is this a known bug? Is there any other info I can provide to help
find the root cause? (I'm suspicious that Vista might not allow the
program to set PATH.)

That would be pretty brain dead if Vista did not allow programs to
modify the PATH. That would cause about a million failures in Cygwin
and various programs.

FYI, adding c:\cygwin\bin at the end of the windows global environment PATH variable fixed an annoying issue that "cystart --explore ." wouldn't work for me on Vista (64bit).

It was very minor but I suspect this symptom and workaround suggest something deeper.

Jim