RE: [ncurses] strange characters with rxvt

On Wed, 2 May 2007, Jeff Hawk wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: On Behalf
Of Didier BRETIN
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 5:00 AM
To: Cygwin at Cygwin dot com
Subject: [ncurses] strange characters with rxvt

Hi,

I have installed ncurses and ncurses-demo on an XP box. I launch the
demo in a cmd window and in a rxvt. I have strange characters in the
rxvt, as you can see at
http://img143.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ncursesrxvtiu6.jpg

I use rxvt without X.

Did I miss something in the configuration of rxvt ?

From the rxvt website: rxvt is a colour vt102 terminal emulator intended as an xterm(1) replacement for users who do not require features such as Tektronix 4014 emulation and toolkit-style configurability. As a result, rxvt uses much less swap space.

Therefore, rxvt is intended for X.

As you are running it, it does not support the line drawing character sets.

This is not true. Please, take a look here:

1) Basically you need to get the following font:

http://dessent.net/tmp/luconP.zip

2) Set the TERM environment variable to rxvt-cygwin-native

3) Run rxvt like this:

rxvt -fn "Lucida ConsoleP-14" other-options-here