Re: MD5s of setup.exe on mirrors.

On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 03:13:58PM +0200, ls-cygwin-2006 wrote:
>Brian Dessent writes:
>
>> ls-cygwin-2006@xxxxxxxxxxx.xx wrote:
>>
>>> Please anyone touch setup.exe? If the mirrors pick it up then we (you!
>>> :) know that it is, somehow, a time stamping issue. The issue can
>>> probably not be cleared up right now and is probably not worth the
>>> trouble, but perhaps it can be just fixed.
>>
>> I've touched the setup.exe on cygwin.com.
>
>Thanks Brian. It seems to work: Not all mirrors have picked up the
>change yet, but those that have and those which I checke are now
>carrying the executable from ftp.cygwin.com.
>
>> I think you should email the hostmaster of ftp.mirror.ac.uk if the
>> one byte discrepancy continues because it would indicate a flaw in
>> their mirroring process.
>
>Thankfully I'm spared to argue that, but the executable was wrong at
>all mirrors I checked, not only ftp.mirror.ac.uk. That would suggests
>a common cause, very probably something at the master site (which is
>ftp.cygwin.com, isn't it?). Whatever -- I can't see me writing the
>host masters of some 20 or 30 mirrors to point them to an error that
>was probably upstream.
>
>(Or did I somehow miss the significance of ftp.mirror.ac.uk in that
>process?)
>
>But thankfully that is academic now:

It was actually all academic before since: 1) there was nothing wrong
with the setup.exe on the mirrors and 2) people shouldn't have been
running setup.exe from the mirrors to begin with.

This really does not, IMO, deserve as much attention as has been given
here.

>PS: Brian, I've been living under the impression that we are under the
>    rule not to include cleartext email addresses in quotes? Is that
>    still so and would you, please, not burn my address further?

Your From: is not formatted to include a name so I suspect that Brian,
like I (and Corinna, FWIW), has an email client which uses the email
address in that case.

cgf