Re: MD5s of setup.exe on mirrors.

"Buchbinder,Barry(NIH/NIAID)[E]" writes:

> I understand that you are perturbed that setup does not behave as you
> might have expected.

Did you actually read what me or Alex wrote? Me seems none of us
expressed ANY perturbation with regard to that setup wouldn't behave
as expected or advertised.

> However, having used cygwin and followed this
> mailing list since well before setup was introduced (one downloaded a
> single zip file in those days),

You know -- I've been around there, too -- only not on this list.

> I can tell you that you are not the first person to question this or
> that aspect of setup.  Let it suffice for me to say that the people
> who designed and programmed setup actually use it.  They are well
> aware of any problems and limitations that setup.exe might have.
> They put a lot of thought into its design and a lot of work into its
> coding.  I would suggest that if they made decisions differently
> than you might have, you should consider giving them the benefit of
> the doubt and assume that they had good reasons for things to be
> arranged as they are.

In other words: Do never ask for additional features of point out the
weakness of existing solutions (this has not been my issue in this
thread, but nonetheless I'm slightly disturbed by the policy you're
advocating here).

> Otherwise, PTC.

Of course. I'll be happy to contribute (still a patch probably fares
better if it isn't a feature the original authors and upstream
maintainers don't consider undesirable or plainly superfluous).

> <OT_aside>
> This reminds me of a conversation I heard over the weekend.  A man
> showed a physician (a professor at Johns Hopkins Medical School) a nasty
> rash that he had.  She told him that it might be caused by an infectious
> agent and that he should see his doctor ASAP and possibly get
> antibiotics.  He started arguing with her about the sensibility of her
> diagnosis and advice.  When I realized the absurdity of the situation, I
> could not refrain from interjecting "Why are you arguing with her!?!"
> He responded that he was a lawyer and tended to argue with everyone.
> </OT_aside>

Guess what: I find the story appropriate: I noticed a difference in
the md5sums and asked for the reasons or wether anybody
noticed. Result: People start arguing with me. Intensively. On
slightly related, but not quite the same topic. All lawyers?

> If one is really disturbed by these issues, one might look into ways
> other than cygwin to get POSIX onto a Windows machine.

With other words: If you talk back too much, then go the hell
away. Again I find your policy slightly disturbing. I -- for my part
-- have only be asking for the -- in the mean time excessively
discussed and actually fixed -- difference in the advertised and the
actual md5sums.

Don't you find it over the top, somehow, to conclude from that, that
Cygwin somehow is not for the likes of me?

What is the moral in that? "Straight cygwin-ers don't check md5sums,
straight cygwin-ers don't talk back, even if being 'misunderstood'"?
What happened to free speech? What to the spirit of freedom and
openness?

It's not that I actually expected _help_ on the md5sum issue: I more
expected to be _helpful_ by pointing out a -- admittedly minor --
technical problem, which then could be fixed.

If anything (any "observation") I post to the list is met like this, I
could as well start with insults right away -- since we end up with
"you don't belong here" or "what fool you are" (below) anyway after
some mails back- and forward. We could save the time and start with
flaming (or denying each others right to post here or to even use
cygwin) right away. Or I could skip that step and just blog somewhere
else "look what fools they are, haha, the md5sums differ and they
haven't noticed for 20 month, haha". Not helpful, right, but since
what I write is perceived as an insult to the project or as
inappropriate nitpicking anyway, I could just skip the intermediate
steps, if I'd be interested in blackening cygwin (which I'm not,
actually), right?

Since I'm not doing that, I'm probably only craving for the pain.

<again shaking my head>

> For the record, here's what I do.

Well -- that wasn't the topic with any of us. We know how to run setup
(all three ways: From cygwin.com, from the mirrors, from downloaded
copies, even from CDs). Do you take us for fools?

Regards -- Markus