Re: problem with cygwin:login

    * From: Sven Tappert <s_tappert at yahoo dot de>
    * To: lu fang <hello_kaguya at hotmail dot com>
    * Cc: cygwin at cygwin dot com
    * Date: Do, 17 Mar 2007
    * Subject: Re: problem with cygwin:login

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, lu fang wrote:

> Hi, all
> I have problem in using "login" under cygwin. I installed cygwin under
> windows2000. And when I tried to login into cygwin, I used the same
> username and paasword as I log in to my nt machine.But it always failed.
So
> how to fix the problem here? I have tried to installed ntsec under NT and
> set system var CYGWIN=ntsec, and I try to log in as nt username and
> password again, still incorrect. what is the problem then? Really hope to
> get helps! thanks a lot!
>
> lufang

Hello all,

I had the same problem and found an easy workaround which should be an
appropriate solution for most windows (xp/2000) users who are working with a
non administrative user account for security reasons and need to login as
admin user from time to time.

The problem: the cygwin.bat file cannot be executed with different windows
user information (rightclick -> "run as.."), which might be necessary to run
chmod, chown, etc.
The "login" command does not work as expected.

Solution: change the link to point directly to the bash.exe:
Rightclick on the cygwin symbol in the start menu (or wherever) choose
"properties" and replace the target file "c:/cygwin/cygwin.bat" by
"C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --login -i" (or whatever is given in the bashfile).

It might also be possible to modify the bash file directly, using the
windows "runas" command.

sven