Re: Smartmontools don't work with /dev/stX, /dev/nstX

On Jun 17 17:00, Christian Franke wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >Christian,
> >
> >On Cygwin the device names for tapes are /dev/stX and /dev/nstX.
> >Smartmontools require to use /dev/tapeX.  Any problem to change
> >that so that the /dev/stX, /dev/nstX syntax works on Cygwin as well?
> >

> No problem, easy to fix. I will add this.

Cool, thanks.

> ATA/SCSI autodetection is also still missing, therefore it is required
> to use /dev/hdX for ATA, and /dev/sdX for SCSI (or ATA behind SATL) disks.
> This is also not consistent with Cygwin's device names, but more
> difficult to fix.

I have another strange behaviour which I'm wondering how to solve.
I'm runing XP on a mainboard with ATI SB600 SATA controller in
"native IDE" mode(*).  When I run smartctl onthe only drive in the
machine, I get the following reply:

  $ /usr/sbin/smartctl.exe -i /dev/sda
  smartctl version 5.37 [i686-cygwin-xp-sp2] Copyright (C) 2002-6 Bruce Allen
  Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

  Device: ATI      1+0 JBOD         Version: 1.10
  Device type: disk
  Local Time is: Sun Jun 17 18:07:28 2007 WEST
  Device does not support SMART

Any idea why I don't get actual drive information but the name of
the controller instead?  Any way around this?

> BTW: For programs like smartmontools, hdparm or sdparm, which need
> I/O-controls unsupported by Cygwin, it would be useful to rely on
> Cygwin's open().
> Is there a function to obtain the Windows HANDLE from a Cygwin fd (the
> opposite of cygwin_attach_handle_to_fd())?

Yes:

  #include <sys/cygwin.h>

  int fd = open(...);
  HANDLE h = (HANDLE) get_osfhandle (fd);

Corinna

(*) I tried to change this post-install to AHCI, including driver
    install, but Windows won't boot anymore with this setting.  If
    somebody has an idea how to do that, feel free to follow-up on the
    cygwin-talk list.  Thanks.

Red Hat