Re: Reloaded Win XP, now need to reload cygwin - sorta

Vidiot wrote:

> >Probably because you had no mount table.
>
> But that shouldn't be anywhere near the C:\WINDOWS directory.  Permissions
> like before?

The mount table is not stored in a file, it's a set of keys in the
registry.
(Which makes sense, because the whole point of a mount table is to let
the actual physical underlying directory where you install Cygwin be
located anywhere in the filesystem while still allowing Cygwin apps to
universally refer to e.g. "/bin/sh" and thus there must be some
configuration element outside of the filesystem to bootstrap this
mapping.  The only alternative would be a file in a fixed location, such
as in %WINDIR%, which is a) ugly/not tidy and b) not possible for
non-admin installs.)

> The chown command work.  I'm guessing that the cygwin installer updated the
> password and group files.

I'd be surprised if that happened, as there's nothing in setup specific
to that.  There is code in the default skeleton rc files to do this the
first time you invoke Cygwin, but that should only run if the files
don't exist.

> Just to see, I did a right-click->properties on the crontab file and another
> datafile and there is no such option.  Just the normal read, archive
> settings at the bottom and file sizes, etc.

It's not on the General tab.  You have to click on the Security tab and
then press Advanced.

> Got a web page link to point me to how to restart cron?  The man page for
> cron was no help at all, as each of the three locations mentioned to not
> exist.

/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/cron-*.README.  Specifically, you want to run
cron-config.

> The User doc mentiond cygserver.conf, but that file hasn't change since
> initial install in April of last year.  There is no cron entry in there.
> The comprehensive user guide is not so comprehensive, since service setup
> for daemons like cron are not mentioned in the manual.
>
> I reran the /usr/bin/cygserver-config script to reinstall that, though I
> never had an entry in there for cron.

I think you're confusing yourself here; cygserver is something else
completely different.  A service is a generic term, cygserver is a
specific example of something that can be installed as a service, just
as cron, exim, apache, syslog-ng, ...  In this case installing cygserver
has nothing to do with cron.

Second, recognise that there is a difference between Cygwin itself and
the entire collection of packages in the distro.  The users guide tends
to just document Cygwin itself, i.e. the compatibility library and the
utilities that come with it (of which cygserver is one.)  cron is
unrelated in the sense that it is a package in the distro but not part
of Cygwin proper, so there won't be anything on the Cygwin web site
documenting how to use it.  For that, you want to read the files that
come in the cron package, specifically the Cygwin-specific README, which
is always installed under /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/packagename-*.README.

> >Essentially, to sum up your question: Things that are stored as regular
> >files survived the reinstall, things that are stored in the registry did
> >not.  And additionally, Windows considers your new account different
> >from the previous one, though it may have the same name.
>
> Correct.  In addition, anything installed in c:\WINDOWS was deleted, as
> well and any services that were set up.

It's not quite "in addition", as the mount table and service config are
both things that are stored in the registry, which is what I was really
trying to say there.

Brian