Re: CVS 1.7.0 heap errors

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jun 22 12:16, Brian Ford wrote:
> > On Wed, 6 Jun 2007, Brian Ford wrote:
> >
> > > FYI, I'm seeing the following errors quite often with current 1.7.0 CVS
> > > and have been for some time.  For instance, I can't use my CVS build to
> > > build Cygwin again.  I've yet to have time to investigate much, and don't
> > > see that changing for some time :-(.
> > >
> > >       6 [main] ? (1584) C:\cygwin\bin\make.exe: *** fatal error - couldn't
> > > allocate heap, Win32 error 487, base 0x680000, top 0x6B0000, reserve_size
> > > 192512, allocsize 196608, page_const 4096
> > >  585603 [main] make 1736 fork: child -1 - died waiting for longjmp before
> > > initialization, retry 0, exit code 0x100, errno 11
> > >
> > > This is just in case any developer remembers a recent (within a couple of
> > > months) possibly related change.  If not, I'll try to binary search CVS
> > > as soon as my schedule frees up some.  Thanks.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure I've identified the change, but I don't see any obvious
> > cause.  Corinna, do you have any suggestions about where to target or how
> > to specifically dig deeper?  Thanks.
> >
> > http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-cvs/2007-q1/msg00139.html
>
> I can't reproduce this problem on XP,

Any chance you could try it with a /3gb appended to your boot.ini and
reboot; just in case?

> nor do I see anything in this change which might cause this.

Neither did I, but rolling forward and back several times confirms that
this is strongly correlated to my problem.

> Rebasing?

Tried several times :-(.

> Or, did you try if setting the heap_slop_in_mb registry value to some
> different value (default 0 up to XP, 4 since 2K3) helps?

I'll give it a try, but I guess I'd like to find out what the conflict is.
Any tips on how to catch this in the debugger or if inserting some sort of
vitual query would be informative?

Thanks for your help.

--
Brian Ford