Re: bug in cygwin_conv_to_posix_path() caused by period in win32 path

Pavel Kudrna wrote:
Christopher Faylor wrote:
I suppose it is possible that we'd consider a nicely written, minimally
intrusive patch to use these but I'm not 100% certain that it is even
possible to do this cleanly given the way the environment variable/path
conversion handling works.
Lets look back to original subject. Function cygwin_conv_to_posix_path()
should not leave passed win32 path almost unconverted:

c:.\  ->  c:./
c:.   ->  c:.

That is clearly incorrect.

I found the present meaning of "C:" defined as "C:\" at the beginning
of path.cc file. So both paths should be converted to /cygdrive/c.

But I see it much better to convert it according to the contents "!C:"
environment variable. Even in the present time when these variables are
without changing inherited between cygwin programs.

I believe Chris was suggesting that if you didn't like the current behavior,
it's a <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC> situation.  Someone interested in
pursuing this should approach it with care however, since the path handling
code is sensitive code and introducing even the slightest inefficiency can
cause lots of pain for Cygwin users.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746