Re: status of utf-8 patch

"Brian Dessent" <brian@dessent.net> wrote in message
46921D75.29CE8798@dessent.net">news:46921D75.29CE8798@dessent.net...
> Ariel Burbaickij wrote:
>
>> question: what is  the status of utf-8 patch fo cygwin? Is it
>
> You can find all the details in the mailing list archives.
> <http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-patches/2006-q3/msg00014.html>
>
>> endorsed/supported?
>
> It was submitted and rejected on technical grounds, which means sadly
> it's not supported here.

The explanation I saw for the rejection was "...it should just be a
wholesale replacement, not a bunch of wrappers around existing functions."

It's now a year later.  Is there an expectation that the "wholesale
replacement" or another solution is coming soon?  What would be the harm in
adopting the current solution for now?  Is this a case of "the perfect is
the enemy of the good"?